Downloads and Upgrades
For product downloads and information about upgrading GFI MailEssentials, visit the GFI Upgrade Center.
If you have additional queries about these changes, please do not hesitate to contact us or an authorized GFI Partner directly.
Version 21.6 - Patch #11
Released: September 03, 2021
- Fix : Issue with handling incorrectly formatted import data for Keyword based content filtering.
- Fix : Issues with IPv6 based filtering in Sender Framework Framework
- Fix : Adding emails with more than 50 characters to the whitelist / blocklist from the dashboard
- Fix : Issue synchronization of blocklist data between master and slave
- Fix : Issue related to processing emails with uuencoded attachment
Version 21.6 - Patch #10
Released: May 10, 2021
- Fix: Post installation wizard failure after installing April 2021 Exchange Server Security Updates.
Version 21.6 - Patch #9
Released: February 09, 2021
- Fix: Exception when mail processing in SMTP mode using Anti Spam Keyword Check and SpamRazer with troubleshooting logs enabled
Version 21.6 - Patch #8
Released: December 30, 2020
- Fix: SpamTag administrative template file works with Windows 2019 template
Version 21.6 - Patch #7
Released: September 25, 2020
- Fix : MP3 file incorrectly detected as text
- Fix : Malware scan engine log file corruption
Version 21.6 - Patch #6
Released: September 11, 2020
- Fixed: 512 character size limit on Anti-Phishing data file
Version 21.6 - Patch #5
Released: July 06, 2020
- Fixed: Issues related to editing the Keyword filtering rules
- Fixed: Signature checks for Microsoft project and MP3 files
- Fixed: Switchboard issues when a non-default website is used to host MailEssentials Web components
Version 21.6 - Patch #4
Released: May 21, 2020
- Fixed: Keyword filtering doesn't recognize special characters in signed mails
- Fixed: Kaspersky incremental update fails with prozy using a domain account
Version 21.6 - Patch #3
Released: April 10, 2020
Version 21.6 - Patch #2
Released: March 20, 2020
- URI DNS Blocklist : Handles query refused response from the URI DNS
Version 21.6 - Patch #1
Released: February 14, 2020
- Fix : GFI MailEssentials Autoupdater service crashing while stopping
- Fix : Keyword filtering support for accented characters
- Configuration Export/Import Tool added support for files greater than 2 GB
- Support for TLS 1.2 for Public Folder Scanning
- Fix:Logfiles don't print out sensitive information
- In Multi-Server environment, the issues relating to synchronization status has been fixed
- Fix: Issues related to changing the remote Active Directory settings in Switchboard
- Warning while starting the GFI MailEssentials Quarantine Action Services has been fixed
Released: January 14, 2020
- Support for EMZ/WMZ file for the Malformed File Extension under Email Exploit Engine
- Attachment with a virus is detected in mixed direction when internal scanning is disabled.
- Upgrade - Issues with directly installing on an existing version without patches
- SpamTag - Support TLS 1.2
- SpamTag - "Ignore SSL Policy error" option will not be required for valid certificates
- SpamTag - Upgrade hang issue is fixed
- Fix to ensure the domains are added in a valid format in HTML Sanitizer
- Handling large files in Decompressor
- AntiPhishing - Issues with case sensitiveness of keywords is fixed.
- Issues with cache refresh in Email Blocklist / Access control settings are fixed
- Issue with accented characters in user name / password of proxy server
- Fix to allow updates of Antivirus / Move to Exchange Folder actions when FIPS is enabled
- Other minor UI fixes
Released: April 16, 2019
- Support for Microsoft Exchange 2019
- Support for Microsoft Windows Server 2019
- Content filtering rules do not work with public folders if any rule has an exception
- SpamTag error code 18 when trying to mark an item as spam on a windows 10, version 1809
- Not filtering spam after an upgrade due to missing license
- Multi-Server slave fails to authenticate https to master when only TLS 1.2 is allowed
- Multi-Server Inconsistent synchronization of Content Filtering to Slaves and vice versa when using multiple operands
- False positives and missing 2017 MasterCard numbers with CONTENT POLICY: Block Visa, MasterCard, American Express Credit Card Number Content
- Updated Redemption library in GFI MailEssentials SpamTag
- SpamTag fails to connect with TLS1.2 (https)
- Auto-replies are not sent for inbound TNEF mails
- Exchange Account tab missing in SwitchBoard in an AD environment
- Content filtering rules do not work with public folders if any rule has an exception
- Several other minor improvements
Released: September 20, 2018
GFI MailEssentials 21.4 is a release with a number of fixes and new functionalities.
- Ability to modify notification templates from GFI MailEssentials
- EmailSecurity Configuration synchronization in the multi-server setup
- General Settings Configuration synchronization in the multi-server setup
- Templates synchronization in the multi-server setup
- Control on AS keyword checking action page gets disabled unexpectedly
- Installer - Key value not handled properly
- Check if the email contains attachment spam does not filter pdf files it should filter
- Installation still continues even when 'exit' button at the top right corner is clicked.
- Centralized Update servers URLs
- Manage correctly Import Status timers in Web pages
- It is not possible to set unlimited users to count in the license
- Inconsistent behavior on import button for all the webpages
- WebUI - Missing closing parenthesis for disclaimer and mail monitoring users
- Information Store Protection - Scanning Schedule not saved
- Kaspersky updates to c1 version but fails to do incremental updates
- Multi-Server: Checkboxes in Whitelist settings are not synchronized among nodes(Autowhitelist)
- Multi-Server: Checkboxes in Email Blocklist settings are not synchronized among nodes
- Multi-Server: "Settings Saved" Message is not getting cleared when user moving on another tab
- Multi-Server: Checkboxes in Whitelist settings are not synchronized among nodes(Personal whitelist)
- Multi-Server: Checkboxes in Whitelist settings are not synchronized among nodes(Global whitelist)
- Notifications being sent when accounts.gfi.com key sync is not on
- Error in the AutoUpdater log if immediately start the update
- AntiSpam - Email Blocklist - Import Blocklist fails to import the .xml file
Released: June 19, 2018
GFI MailEssentials 21.3 is a maintenance release with a number of fixes.
- AV updates are overwritten when downloading
- AV folder deleted - does not get created on update
- No Failed Mails when 1 AV fails to scan
- Upgrade fails if MS Exchange services are stopped
- Support Log Zip for GFI LogCollector/ Troubleshooter is not generating
- Troubleshooter crashes when it is started
- Cleanup MISC non-blocking exceptions in debug logs for the Troubleshooter
- Improvements to the GFI MailEssentials LogGatherer for faster log collection
- Authentication issue with accounts.gfi.com
Released: April 17, 2018
The latest version of GFI MailEssentials version 21.2 is now available for download.
This new version of GFI MailEssentials includes updates to the anti-spam and antivirus engines as well as numerous fixes to improve functionality and reliability in the product.
See the Release Notes below for a complete list of updates.
- NEW: Support TLS 1.2 in updater
- NEW: Updated Redemption Library in SpamTag
- NEW: Updated SpamRazer Engine
- NEW: Updated Kaspersky SDK to 8.8
- FIX: Body.rtf attachment added to Sent Items
- FIX: Incorrect label in the installer when choosing language
- FIX: Improved user experience for licensing management with integration to GFI Accounts Portal
- FIX: Outdated "CONTENT POLICY: Block US Social Security Number Content"
- FIX: MHT attachments go to failedmails
- FIX: GFIScanM crashing on 21.1 - ntdll.dll
- FIX: GFIScanM crashing on 21.1 - htmscrpt.dll
- FIX: Agents and Services crashing in 21.1
- FIX: AntiSpam/Middlequeue not emptied after Global Actions
- FIX: EmailBlocklist Action "log occurrence" fails
- FIX: GfiscanS.exe crash due to WINSPAMCATCHER.DLL 21.1
- FIX: Event ID 5302 - gfimesattendant crash and 5401 Plugin UnicornLicSvc
- FIX: Cyren shows as licensed on WebGUI, licensing server shows Sophos licensed instead of Cyren
- FIX: Sophos failing to update
- FIX: Auto replies showing unlicensed
- FIX: Double Log Occurrence fails
Note upcoming changes to requirements: GFI MailEssentials version 21.2 is the last version that will support the following systems:
- Microsoft Exchange 2007
- Windows 2008
- Windows 2012
Released: October 26, 2017
The latest version of GFI MailEssentials version 21.1 is now available for download.
This new version of GFI MailEssentials brings important fixes to licensing, web UI and anti-spam services. Our focus for this release was to bring improved overall stability and product quality.
See the Release Notes below for a complete list of updates.
- FIX: hub transport stops on install for Exchange 2007/2010
- FIX: license key not accepted during Install
- FIX: accounts.gfi.com credentials not accepted during Install/Web UI
- FIX: multiple crashes in anti-spam service
- FIX: improved licensing Web UI
Released: October 5, 2017
The latest version of GFI MailEssentials version 21 is now available for download.
This new version of GFI MailEssentials brings new antivirus engines including Sophos and Cyren, as well as an easier licensing model and several fixes to improve the product. GFI is continually reviewing antivirus technology to ensure we are using the best technologies possible. This release includes easier licensing so that partners can manage all of their product licenses and updates from one location.
See the Release Notes below for a complete list of updates, which include
- New - Avira is now a default AV in EmailSecurity and UnifiedProtection
- New - Cyren AV
- New - Sophos AV
- New - Integration with GFI Accounts for automated license key management.
- McAfee and VIPRE AVs have been discontinued.
- Microsoft Exchange 2003 is no longer supported.
- Microsoft Windows 2003 is no longer supported.
Released: March 24, 2017
GFI MailEssentials 20.3 provides a few minor feature improvements including allowing whitelist and blocklist configuration from the GFI MailEssentials dashboard, and the ability to scan compressed files with a .gz extension. This release also includes over ten fixes which ensure continued product quality.
Minor new features include:
- The ability to configure whitelists and blocklists directly from the dashboard by way of a context menu that displays lists of incoming and outgoing emails
- Scanning of compressed files with a .gz extension
- Visibility into which filter blocked an email by appending a block reason to the email header
- An update of the SpamRazer engine for improved spam filtering.
Read more on the GFI MailEssentials product page, and download the latest version.
Released: January 10, 2017
The latest release of GFI MailEssentials continues to provide considerable improvements and optimisations for a better product experience and also keeping ahead of the curve with the latest security threats. Check out the list below for the list of all the updates to GFI MailEssentials.
Kaspersky 0 Hour
The latest version of the Kaspersky AV engine features an intelligent cloud service that enables scanning of unknown executable attachments and make decisions if the files are malicious or not.
This feature will be available to all who have the existing Kaspersky AV addon and upgrade at no additional cost. Must be enabled after agreeing to a EULA on data being transferred.
GFI Directory Support
GFI MailEssentials now supports GFI Directory. As part of the GFI suite of products, when installing GFI MailEssentials in a DMZ or an environment which does not have Active Directory, GFI MailEssentials can be linked to GFI Directory and enable administrators to manage users just like they would with Active Directory. This enables IT administrators a lot more flexibility when managing blocking rules for users in such environments.
Improvements to common/known issues such as:
- Manually forcing an AV update to download in full
- UI improvements to quickly clear URI DNS blocklist entries and IP DNS blocklist entries and Auto Whitelist entries
- Disable blocking of specified extensions for password protected compressed files.
This version of GFI MailEssentials contains all the updates and security fixes released that have been released since the previous version.
Released: May 3, 2016
The latest version of GFI MailEssentials (Version 20.1) is a bug fix release that comes bundled with all the previous fixes issued previously via live updates and some other tweaks and improvements under the hood.
The updates include:
- Installation will now be executed with the correct elevated permissions when required
- Emails approved from quarantine had incorrect received lines, causing emails to be incorrectly routed.
- EmailSecurity edition only licenses had some issues with certain AV engines, resulting in them not being loaded.
- When installing GFI MailEssentials on a non-English OS, the released patches may fail to install.
- The Anti-Spam SPF check was failing when a DNS TXT record larger than 255 bytes was encountered.
- When using a remote Active Directory setup, modules which require binding with the Active Directory might not function correctly.
- The Domain Controller used for the remote Active Directory setup will be used as the sole DC to which the binding will always be performed.
- When using the Auto-replies feature, the line breaks used in the auto-reply text might not be persisted in the returned email.
- When using the GFI MailEssentials multi-site feature, the control lists (example: Whitelist and Blocklist) may not synchronise correctly.
- The Decompression Engine was detecting certain APK files as corrupted.
- Under certain conditions, inbound emails may be detected as outbound causing spam not to be detected.
- Emails released from quarantine may not be delivered to all recipients.
- During Microsoft Exchange Information Store scanning, an error "Synchronization state data is corrupt or otherwise invalid" may be logged. This will cause the affected mailbox not to be scanned.
- An email might not be quarantined due to invalid XML characters in its source after parsing.
Released: January 14, 2016
You asked, we delivered! GFI MailEssentials 20, the award winning anti-spam and email security solution, keeps on getting better through a set of major advancements:
Anti-spam multithreading for improved email throughput
The advantage of a multithreaded program is that it can operate faster on computer systems that have multiple or multicore CPUs, or across a cluster of machines. Using this multithreaded approach, GFI MailEssentials supports a substantially faster email throughput with lower resource consumption.
x64-bit backend and action services processing
64-bit is required for GFI MailEssentials to process high email volume environments more efficiently. The services that would benefit most from this change are the backend services, which handle both quarantine and reporting stores as well as Action Services service.
Remote Active Directory (AD) support
GFI MailEssentials can now be installed on non-AD machines such as IIS SMTP or Edge servers leveraging Active Directory even though it is not locally available.
Information store scanning support for Exchange 2013 and later using Exchange Web Services
This feature allows Microsoft Exchange 2013 (and later) users to leverage information store scanning, in order to scan for malware via Exchange Web Services (EWS).
Exchange 2016, Windows 10 and Office 2016 platform support
GFI is committed to remain abreast with and support Microsoft’s latest technologies. Therefore, this release of GFI MailEssentials is shipping with full support for Exchange 2016, Windows 10 as well as Office 2016.
The above features further equip GFI MailEssentials to better cater for larger environments and MSPs who process large quantities of emails. Not only does the product scale to the volume of mail flow processed but does so seamlessly in the diverse environments it is deployed to.