GFI recommends keeping a backup of Archive Stores and the product configuration data. In case of data loss, GFI will not be able to recover your configuration if a backup is not available.
It is possible to create online backups via the Volume Shadow Copy technology when using a supported online backup software
If not using a supported Volume Shadow Copy based online backup software, it is required to stop the GFI Archiver services before the backup starts and to start the services again once the backup is complete. Not stopping the service during a backup by third party backup software may cause GFI Archiver to malfunction.
In general use the following procedure to backup the components of GFI Archiver mentioned below:
- Stop all GFI Archiver services
- Create a backup of the data / files listed below
- Start all GFI Archiver services
Archive Stores (email data)
..\InstallationFolder\Core2\Data\*.* (version 2013 or older only)
- Restoring the configuration must only be done with the same build of GFI Archiver.
Queues (items which are still in processing stage)
- These "other components" are specific to each installation but can be considered as less vital
- If GFI Archiver does not find any of the above files, they will be created automatically again based on templates
- Depending on the environment, and especially on its size, this can take a significant amount of time and resources